Government forces reclaim Khanabad district in Kunduz
The defense and security forces have reclaimed Khanabad district of the northern Kunduz province after inflicting heavy casualties on the Taliban militants, according to the Ministry of Defense (MoD).
The MoD spokesperson, Rohullah Ahmadzai, said today, Monday, June 14, that clearance operation is currently underway in the district and will continue until it is cleared from the presence of the militants.
Abdul Hadi Nazari, spokesperson for the 217 Pamir Military Corps, also confirmed to Kabul Now that the defense and security forces have retaken administrative building of the district, its police headquarter, and bazar from the Taliban militants.
Members of the People Uprising Force – a pro-government local militia – and local commanders have played a pivotal role in retaking the district from the militants, said Khosh Mohammad Nasratyar, a member of Kunduz Provincial Council.
The district fell to the Taliban earlier this morning, June 14, around 06:00 AM, Nasratyar had previously confirmed to Kabul Now. A local government source, speaking on condition of anonymity, had confirmed that three government forces were killed and three others wounded in clashes against the militants.
The Taliban have not commented regarding it so far.
With Khanabad retaken, the total number of districts fallen to the Taliban since May 01, beginning of foreign troop withdrawal, falls to 21.
The districts fallen to the militant group are namely Nirkh and Jalrez in Maidan Wardak, Burka in Baghlan, Dawlat Shah in Laghman, Gizab in Urozgan, Deh Yak and Jaghatu in Ghazni, Shinkai in Zabul, Du Ab and Mandol in Nooristan, Dawlatyar and Qaisar in Faryab, Shahrak, Tulak, and Saghar in Ghor province, Ishkamish in Takhar, Zari in Balkh province, Sozma Qala and Sayyad in Sar-e-Pul, Aliabad in Kunduz, and Lash wa Juwayn district in Farah.