As many as four Afghan security forces were killed and several others wounded in twin blasts in the western Herat province, a local official said on Thursday, April 01.
Sayed Abdul Wahid Qatali, the governor for Herat, confirmed that a car laden with explosives went off close to the office of the National Directorate of Security in Shindand district, killing at least two security forces and wounding several others.
The Afghan commandos have repelled the Taliban militants in Shindand, according to the governor.
Noor Ahmad Haidari, the deputy governor for Herat, told Kabul Now that a car bomb hit a police checkpoint in Kamar Kolagh area on Herat-Torghondi highway. He did not give details.
Mohammad Rafiq Sherzai, the spokesperson for Herat directorate of public health, told Kabul Now that two security forces lost their lives in the blast and two others wounded.
Targeted violence has increased in Afghanistan ever since the US-Taliban peace deal, signed last year.
On March 12, a car bomb killed eight civilians including children and women, and wounded 45 others in Herat. The Afghan government blamed the Taliban for the attack but the group denied involvement in the blast.